[QuadList] LA TV stations with quad and film chains back then

DCFWTX at aol.com DCFWTX at aol.com
Fri Aug 15 23:57:19 CDT 2008

In a message dated 8/15/2008 6:36:18 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
ted at quadvideotapegroup.com writes:

Cohu.

We have a winner!

Even with worse registration, the colors were better.

The TK 26 actually had a very nice picture also. The 28 was tied up to a
film cartridge projector, and didn't have all of the options, plus vidicons and
no plumbs. It was an apparent scaled down purchase. The 27 had a lot of noise.

It was just a sad situation for a lot of equipment there then. Except for
the ACR's, a much of the other gear was very worn. Even the transmitter was  a
TT50 AH, very much pre-historic for that time. The tape room had six VR 2000's
and one 1200. There were two editecs and a home made gang roll devise, not
frame  accurate. That's how we edited The Jokers Wild.

However, many graduates of the KCOP VTR department went on to other jobs as
serious editors:  Pat Williams went to Fox to edit promos, Rick Thompson  went
on to CBS, as did several others. Kris Trexler and Larry Harris came  through
there also. I left and went to NBC for 10 years.

I should do a snapshot of who had what 2" VTR's in 1979 in Los Angeles.
Might be interesting to someone out there. One inch type C was just starting to
be accepted slowly, but many stations and post houses were heavily invested in
quad. Every TV station was all Ampex, except for NBC, which had mostly RCA.
Even  the post houses (Compact, Vidtronics, CFI, Editel, & Unitel) were all
Ampex. The only RCA 2" edit bays were in Burbank. There was some B format places
 i.e. Astin Zappia and Paradise Studios. There was a truck running around
town  with 2 VPR-1 A format machines and two TK 76's, doing Cal Worthington
spots.  But, without a doubt, Compact had the fasted edit bays, and the most deluxe
 kitchen (with full time chef) for client pampering! When you spent $600/hr.
for  three machines and an editor at that time, you got just about whatever
you  wanted or needed.

"How do you want your steak, sir?  I suggest the Cabernet with that  fine
meal! Are you in edit 1 tonight?"

David

Read reviews on AOL Autos.