[QuadList] LA TV stations with quad and film chains back then

Tim Stoffel tim at lionlamb.us
Sat Aug 16 17:43:43 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 22:28 -0700, Ted Langdell wrote:

> > One inch type C was just starting to be accepted slowly, but many
> > stations and post houses were heavily invested in quad. Every TV
> > station was all Ampex, except for NBC, which had mostly RCA. Even
> > the post houses (Compact, Vidtronics, CFI, Editel, & Unitel) were
> > all Ampex. The only RCA 2" edit bays were in Burbank. There was some
> > B format places i.e. Astin Zappia and Paradise Studios. There was a
> > truck running around town with 2 VPR-1 A format machines and two TK
> > 76's, doing Cal Worthington spots. But, without a doubt, Compact had
> > the fasted edit bays, and the most deluxe kitchen (with full time
> > chef) for client pampering! When you spent $600/hr. for three
> > machines and an editor at that time, you got just about whatever you
> > wanted or needed.
> >
> > "How do you want your steak, sir?  I suggest the Cabernet with that
> > fine meal! Are you in edit 1 tonight?"
> >
> > David
>

> Ensemble is kind of like that. There's quite a kitchen there, and Mr.
> Wood is very interested in food and cooking. So he frequently prepares
> lunch. And did today.  It was very good.

    I was the recipient of a 'Mr. Wood dinner'-- along with many
enthusiastic SMPTE members or member wannabees last January. It was one
of the most memorable dinners I have ever had. The food was very good,
and there was lots of it. Peter Symes did the presentation that night on
the history and future of SMPTE standards. I ended the night out in the
parking lot talking for a long time with the President of Nvision.

Funny stuff like that happens in Grass Valley!

> On a slightly different topic... I can likely have loan of a BrightEye
> BE 90 Cross converter to see what happens when bumping Quad to HD.

    Of course, you can try that up here at the 'park. Might even fire up
the AVR-1 for that test. I am getting familiar with the Brighteye
stuff-- took delivery of two 92A's this week.

Tim Stoffel