[QuadList] Merry Christmas, and to all, a warm, dry night!

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Wed Dec 24 17:15:19 CST 2008

Just a short note to wish all of you well and hope that you are warm,
dry and able to be with Family and Friends tonight and tomorrow.

I suspect some of the holiday TV fare may cause visions of quad
machines to dance in your heads as you remember recording studio
productions or network line feeds of various programs.

Hope those are happy memories!

Some of you may be working. Drive safely and enjoy the time you can
spend with loved ones.

One of those working is our newest member, Dennis Degan, "Editor-
Consultant-Knowledge Bank, NBC Today Show, New York."

Dennis is editing the Midnight Mass from the Vatican that will air in
place of the Tonight Show on most NBC stations at 11:35 tonight.

The Mass is being recorded from a 16:9 SD Italian TV feed. Dennis
hopes he can convince the network to broadcast it in 16:9.  It's
Dennis' fifth year cutting the Special.

He's a 35 year+ vet of the business, beginning with radio and then
television and Quads in Georgia, South Carolina, and then a vacation
relief tour maintaining Quads at NBC, NYC in 1978 that extended into
1979.  He worked at Reeves/Teletape after that, and Quad recorded a
lot of the Sesame Street shows you may have seen in its early years.
His other stops have included Unitel and editing Sally Jessy Raphael's
show. After moving to Penn Studios when the "Sally" show was edited
there, he freelanced and then returned to NBC in 2003 as an editor
with Today cutting "Day of Air" material.

Dennis has quite a collection of Quad-centric photos on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/

You can see Quads and Quad Cart machines at WTCG, Atlanta, KWY,
Philadelphia, WSPA, WSM-TV Nashville, WRET-TV, Charlotte, WIS-TV,
Columbia, SC, WBRC-TV, Birmingham, CBS Broadcast Center in NYC in
1978, and NBC 1976-79.

Thanks, Dennis for making these available.  Hope your commute to work
and home is uneventful, and your Christmas Day is joyful.

 From rainy Northern California (where our friends in the foothills
east of me will have a White Christmas.)

Ted

Should you be passing through Marysville, You're welcome to join
QuadVTG member Tim Stoffel and I this evening. We're dining before
singing carols at 11:30 and at Midnight Mass.

Ted Langdell
flashscan8.us
209 East 12th Street
Marysville, CA 95901
Main: 	(530) 741-1212
Cell: 	(530) 301-2931

Secretary for the QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in
conjunction with the Library of Congress
ted at quadvideotapegroup.com