[QuadList] Rights and old shows (was 1959 Pontiac Star Parade)

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Sun Dec 28 17:19:52 CST 2008

Interesting, Ted.

I guess it comes down to what is in the contract and what isn't.

My contract (for professional services) with the Walt Disney Company
says that my work is "for hire" and belongs to them "for any and all
purposes whatsoever." It continues that I, "hereby assigns and/or
grants, in consideration for the compensation provided hereunder, all
rights, including, without limitations, all exclusive exploitation
rights, of every kind and nature, in and such Works to Disney. The
Works are owned by Disney, "solely and exclusively, for the duration
of the rights in each country, in all languages, and throughout the
world in perpetuity." It then talks about "New Exploitation Rights" to
cover anything that had yet to be invented, saying, "without further
compensation to Consultant."  It then says I cannot challenge the use
of the rights, "through the courts, administrative governmental
bodies, private organizations, and/or in any other manner." Also, it
owns my image and likeness, "and the right to use and re-use pictures,
silhouettes and other reproductions of Consultants likeness and
voice...in all media, whether now known and/or hereafter devised,
throughout the Universe in perpetuity."

So it depends on what Fred signed when he did his TV special. It's
possible someone owns the special and his estate may not be in line
for any payments.

Best,
Park

C. Park Seward