[Quadlist] Welcome to the Quad List/Special Quad tape restoration event today in LA

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Fri Jul 25 03:32:11 CDT 2008

Hi, members,

I hope you'll forgive my newness at managing a mailing list.

I'd intended to hit the "Invite" button instead of "Subscribe" to
alllow you to Opt-In instead of find yourself getting mail you
weren't exactly expecting.

You're on this list because you either:

•Showed up for the informal event on Tuesday at NAB this year
•You expressed an interest in response to postings on the TIG, AMIA
or Old VTR's lists, or
•I know you have an interest or passion for Quad video.

I hope you'll enjoy participating, and will stay with us.  That said...

You can click on the link at the very bottom of this message to opt-
out or change any of your subscription parameters.

In the meantime, please take a look at the main website
QuadVideotapeGroup.com as we have made some changes since it was
first put up.

We've been corresponding with Ed Reitan and Don Kent about their
restorations of several early videotapes... and have some comments
from them on several pages.

In fact, if you're in the LA area today  (Friday, July 25) there's a
presentation of the earliest surviving COLOR Quad tape—restored by
Don, Ed and Dan Einstein...

the WRC-TV/NBC Washington, DC color studio dedication—
featuring President Eisenhower...

(Eisenhower at WRC-TV/NBC photo by Ted Langdell)

the Nixon-Khrushchev debate recorded
49 years ago on this date, (July 25) 1959.

(Nixon-Kruschev off-tape photo via Don Kent)

Tonight's program also features
John F. Kennedy Speaks to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association
about his Catholicism during a meeting on September 12, 1960 in
Houston's Rice Hotel. The meeting was also telecast as a paid
political broadcast throughout Texas on a special 22-station network,
and recorded on Quad tape.

and The Jack Benny Program: "The Harry S Truman Show" recorded
11/18/59 at the former president's Truman Library.

UCLA Film and Television Archivist Dan Einstein arranged the
presentation.
Details can be found here: http://www.cinema.ucla.edu/screenings/
screenings.html *(see link at "Preservationists Choice")

It'll run about two hours and is apparently being screened from
BetacamSP tape.

It's happening at 7:30pm (Tonight, Friday July 25)
Billy Wilder Theater
UCLA/Armand Hammer Museum of Art
Wilshire and Westwood Blvd's
Los Angeles.

It's three intersections EAST of the 405. Exit at Wilshire and go east.

I've booked a flight from Sacramento to attend, and hope to be able
to arrange a time to videotape Don Kent and Dan Einstein (and Ed
Reitan, if he's present) about their experiences in restoring a
number of early and historic Quad tapes.

I'm planning to post as much as information as I can next week (along
with pictures Don Kent has graciously supplied) drawn from the e-
mails Ed and Don have been exchanging with me about the WRC-TV
dedication, the restoration of the three Fred Astaire specials, and
one that's personal to Don....

Tennessee Ernie Ford's "The Mikado."

Visit the website late next week for details.

If you or folks you know will be in the LA area and can attend the
screening tonight, perhaps we can arrange an informal, impromptu
"meeting" of the Quad Videotape Group somewhere afterward or on
Saturday.

Meantime, I hope your day goes well, and that I'll see some of you at
the screening or elsewhere.

209 East 12th Street
Marysville, CA 95901
Main: 	(530) 741-1212
Cell: 	(530) 301-2931

Defacto Secretary for the  QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in
conjunction with the Library of Congress

tedlangdell.com. Storytelling through Broadcast Coverage and Creative
Services since 1974

flashscan8.us gentle, realtime flashscan8, flashstransfer digital
film transfer systems
and other products from the creative engineers at MWA Nova, Berlin.