[QuadList] [Quadlist] Tape cleaning solutions

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Wed Jul 30 13:05:00 CDT 2008

To review other cleaning solutions I have seen...

For film, fast evaporating liquid is used to wash away any contaminants.

Since 1983, PEC-12, Photographic Emulsion Cleaner has been trusted by
the world's most prestigious photographers, labs, museums and
publishers. Not only does PEC-12 routinely save many of their most
valuable images, but it is the ONLY archival cleaner available. What
good is cleaning an image today, only to have the emulsion slowly
deteriorate over time? PEC-12 is a non-water based film and print
cleaner which removes virtually all non-water based stains from color
and B&W slides, negatives and prints. PEC-12 removes grease pencil,
adhesive residue, finger oils, ball-point pen, fungus, smoke & soot
damage, laser separation oil and most permanent inks. Containing no
water, PEC-12 dries instantly with no emulsion swelling and leaves no
residue.

Lipsner-Smith
Cleaning:Ultrasonic cavitation followed by high pressure low volume
drying.
Buffing: Removable, adjustable submerged rotary buffing system
provides additional cleaning action.
Cleaning Agent: 3M Novec™ Engineered Fluid HFE-8200.

But I don't know of anyone who has cleaned magnetic tape with liquid.

It does seem that Pellon tape is the most common cleaning method.

archival storage products

http://www.hollingercorp.com/faq.html#hollinger

C. Park Seward
Cell: 818-535-2747