[QuadList] [Quadlist] Tape cleaning solutions

Allan D McConnell amcc at loc.gov
Thu Jul 31 07:05:50 CDT 2008

As the owner of a SammaClean machine for umatic tapes, I can add that I'm pleased with its design and operation.  Since the direction of this list is intended to be for Quad issues I will only say here that in spite of its good cleaning characteristics and gentle approach we are still encountering the STS problem with many of the older vintage tapes.  Presently, we bake those umatic tapes but would like to ask other users what they are doing.  Perhaps, we could explore that off-line from this list:  I'm at amcc at loc.gov, Allan McConnell, NAVCC - National Audio Visual Conservation Center, Library of Congress, 202 707-9077.

AM

>>> Ted Langdell <ted at quadvideotapegroup.com> 7/30/2008 3:23 PM >>>
Unfortunately, Samma Systems hasn't developed a reel to reel version
of the "SammaClean" it developed for cassettes:
http://www.sammasystems.com/?q=sammaclean

It uses rolls of Pellon tissue to clean both sides of the tape. The
tissue surfaces are moved along to keep clean surfaces up against the
tape as the tape is passed through the system.

Click on the "Technical Specifications" for details on how it works.

I suspect that the basic principals could be applied to a reel-based
system, perhaps using a modern, servo controlled 2" audio recorder
deckplate, electronics and mechanics to move the tape and provide a
surface for mounting the cleaning system.

Likely to be more involved that that... but is that a starting point?

209 East 12th Street
Marysville, CA 95901
Main: 	(530) 741-1212
Cell: 	(530) 301-2931

Secretary for the  QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in
conjunction with the Library of Congress
ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

tedlangdell.com. Storytelling through Broadcast Coverage and Creative
Services since 1974

flashscan8.us gentle, realtime flashscan8, flashstransfer 16/35
digital film transfer systems
and other products from the creative engineers at MWA Nova, Berlin.