[QuadList] Creating new Broadcast/Post Engineers--Survey about what's being done to ensure flow of trained people

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Fri Nov 7 07:44:22 CST 2008

Hi, Quad List members,

Engineer Hugh Waters in the UK is concerned about there not being
enough engineers to replace those that retire, and is taking a
survey.  This was originally posted to the Telecine Internet Group.

I thought the survey might be of interest to folks on the QuadList.

Please feel free to pass the survey on to other engineers, SBE and
SMPTE members you know.

Ted

On Nov 6, 2008, at 7:36 PM, Hugh Waters wrote:

> Just to make things a tad easier for people, I have knocked together a
> SurveyMonkey questionaire, which might be simpler to do than
> annotate my
> original questions. www.hjwaters.co.uk/questions
>
> The background to this is that across the globe the average age of
> engineers
> is nearing 50 (I'm 51) and it seems there are not enough youngsters
> coming
> through from schools and universities to replace us as we fade away.
>
> In Australia they have recently set up MITC (www.mitc.tv) with the
> central
> aim of kickstarting a culture of learning amongst the broadcast
> engineering
> community, which in turn they hope will stimulate the training
> industry and
> finally to start bringing suitably trained newcomers into the
> industry.
>
> I am looking at MITC, SBE and any other similar schemes across the
> globe to
> see what we can do to make sure there is a continuous flow of suitable
> engineering talent once our tweakers are on in their display cases
> over the
> fireplace.
>
> You can find the survey here:
>
> http://www.hjwaters.co.uk/questions
>

> Many thanks for taking the time to bother!
>
> I'll share the results once I've had a few responses. I've had 2
> back so
> far... only 2019 to go ;)
>
> Hugh
> -----------------------------
> Hugh James Waters
> Waters Technical Services
> 07801 053248
> 01453549048
> hugh at hjwaters.co.uk
> www.hjwaters.co.uki3

209 East 12th Street
Marysville, CA 95901
Main: 	(530) 741-1212
Cell: 	(530) 301-2931

Secretary for the  QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in
conjunction with the Library of Congress
ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

tedlangdell.com. Storytelling through Broadcast Coverage and Creative
Services since 1974

flashscan8.us gentle, realtime flashscan8, flashstransfer 16/35
digital film transfer systems
and other products from the creative engineers at MWA Nova, Berlin.