[QuadList] Upcoming QuadList member connection opportunities

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Wed Oct 22 04:34:06 CDT 2008

Hello from breezy northern California...

If you're traveling about the country and would like to see what's
happening with other folks, feel free to post to the list about your
itinerary and connect.

Here's a few things happening in the next couple of months:

-----

Friday, Oct. 23:  Berkeley, CA
Cal/UCLA game Remote Truck Tour, Dinner

Quad Videotape Group member Park Seward is a Sr. Video Eng., Quad/1"
restorer-user in Irvine.

Park will be handling Sr. Video for the Cal/UCLA game THIS Friday at
UC Berkeley.  Game is on ABC. Check your local listings.

QVTG member/Colorist Bob Campbell and I are coming in from Walnut
Creek, meeting him at the Cal Stadium at 3:30p for a tour the truck,
NEC SuperShooter 14 and then are heading somewhere for dinner,
location to be determined on-site.

Park just got back from Virginia, where he had a tour of the
developing Quad facilities at the Library of Congress's NAVCC in
Culpeper, and continues to restore a Merlinized Ampex VR-1200.

Please e-mail ted at quadvideotapegroup.com or ring my cell at (530)
301-2931 if you're in the area and want to join us at the truck or
for dinner.

-----

Nov. 4-7 Atlanta, GA
Informal dinner, time, location to be determined
Know anybody in Atlanta that would be interested in preserving the
knowledge, equipment and operating practices or just enjoy a good
meal and conversation?

-----

Nov. 9-16, Savannah, GA
Association of Moving Image Archivists Conference:
Dinner on Tuesday, Nov. 11.
Other informal gatherings as people's schedules permit.

Maurice Schecter, CE at DuArt, NYC tells me he'll have a spread of
technology in the DuArt booth at AMIA, Thursday and Friday:  "A fully
restored working Quad and a few  apple IPOD touches..." to accompany
DuArt's 86 years of film work and decade of video restoration and
migration.

Based on the vendor list and AMIA membership, I know that there are
other folks with Quad experience that will beat AMIA. Jim Linder,
former owner of VidPax and current SAMMA Systems honcho, among them.

If you're on the East Coast... and can connect in Atlanta or AMIA,
please let us know.

One intention at AMIA is to meet with archive directors, archivists
and others to organize a series of showings of restored/migrated Quad
or "Right Off the Quad" programs at archive, museum and technical
venues around the country, possibly coupled with daytime workshop(s)
on Quad operations, maintenance, best practices.

Please get in touch if this is something you're interested in helping
with. We may be able to do an iChat meeting from AMIA for those so
equipped.

------

Tuesday, April 21, 2009
NAB 2009: Second annual informal Quad/Telecine/Editor drop in lunch
12:30p—Location to be determined, but somewhere close to or just off
the show floor.

NAB 2009:  Other connections as members desire. (In 2008, we almost
had a VPR-80 cleaning party... but that's another story.)

------

Cheers,

flashscan8.us
209 East 12th Street
Marysville, CA 95901
Main: 	(530) 741-1212
Cell: 	(530) 301-2931

Secretary for the QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in
conjunction with the Library of Congress
ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

flashscan8.us home of gentle, faster than realtime flashscan HD,
realtime flashscan8, flashstransfer 16/35
digital film transfer systems and other products from the creative
engineers at MWA Nova, Berlin.

tedlangdell.com. Storytelling through Broadcast Coverage and Creative
Services since 1974