[QuadList] RCA Quad and TCR-100 action at KTXL, 40, Sacramento in 1985

Joe Owens jpo at prestodigital.ca
Fri Oct 17 10:05:19 CDT 2008

On 16-Oct-08, at 5:45 PM, Ted Langdell wrote:

> Forty years from now, do you imagine anyone will be talking about
> what kinds of servers, hard drives and encoders the station was
> using in 2008?

Obviously not. Its a tired old McLuhanism about the media being the
message.  On reflection, maybe the "content" of the day was the fact
that the electronic technology was being pushed, and pushed hard by
skilled people who were getting more out of it than had been designed
in.  The anecdote about performing some kind of miracle to get the
local newscast on the air, down one TCR, sort of illustrates this.
Station personnel were really doing this kind of thing to some degree
on a daily basis.

There is a stunning loss of humanity in broadcast evident in the near-
perfection of what arrives in peoples' homes nowadays.  The "Please
Stand By" slide no longer exists... and its kind of sad in a way,
because the viewership understood then that people were involved in
putting on the show.  A modern, automated station or broadcast might
be lovely and seamless and might be just what the advertisers want
(or is that really true?), but all they get now are the plastic
hairdos that read the news.  Frankly, I see all the billboards around
town extolling the virtues of these fabricated celebrities being your
best friend and all.... but the reality is that they are becoming
more irrelevant by the minute.

I might be fond of my ten-penny hammer, but I will never be able to
fall in love with a robot.

Joe Owens
Presto!Digital Colourgrade
302-9664 106 Avenue