[QuadList] Restoring an Ampex AVR-1

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Wed Oct 22 10:24:04 CDT 2008

Hi John:

It will be interesting to see what the collective wisdom of this group has to offer to your situation.  I suspect that the likelihood of finding an AVR-1 available for donation would be an extremely long shot.  But beyond that, I would encourage you or the group you are working with to very carefully and realistically examine both your goals and abilities in relationship to this project.  Any quad machine, and most particularly an AVR-1, requires specialized knowledge along with both technical and financial resources to maintain it in an operating environment.

If your goal is to have a machine that operates reliably, the only way to achieve that level of performance is to properly refurbish the machine.  Simply substituting boards from another "donor" machine is not a good idea for several reasons.  First, if the donor machine has not been properly maintained, it too will likely experience failure, and then what?  You must properly repair it or find yet another donor which is just not a practical approach.  Second, depending on what boards are swapped, there may be alignment and set-up issues that if not properly performed, will either degrade the performance of the machine or render it unusable, even though the board is perfectly good.

Having worked with non-profits, I am sympathetic to the common problem of budget restraints.  Unfortunately, the reality of the costs, both in dollars and knowledge, may be more than the organization can bear.  I certainly wish you success, and strongly support the preservation of this technology, but I also urge you to carefully evaluate your expectations and resources to determine if this is a feasible undertaking for the organization.  There may be other alternatives which are more practical.

Best Regards,

Don

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.