[QuadList] NBC Control System

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 1 02:43:34 CDT 2009

			On Mar 31, 2009, at 4:41 PM, Phillip G. Shaw wrote:

 > VTR technical Control, 5th floor tape  NBC Network
 > The control system was in-house designed & fabricated by NBC
Engineering. NBC had crews for construction including a full machine
shop. This was the glory days of NABET, engineering & construction were
competent and very self efficient. The original build of the TCR custom
panel was contracted to a firm in Long Island.

			I query:

	Do you mean this panel?
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/3403165017/>
	In 1978, I installed a modification on a bunch of those panels,
replacing the push-button PL array at the upper left with a rotary
switch similar to the one in the center of the panel.

			Phillip continued:

 > The over-bridge, as seen in historic pictures, had a Control
PNL(~6RU) that employed DC control for assignment of that TCR.  I.E.
If the operator was assigned to 8H. He simply turned a selector to 8H
and several big honking DC Rotary Motor resolvers with mechanical
switches performed the following. (The panel also had the independent
GRID (Matrix) Control for VandA record inputs to the Machine).

A)    The Program Monitor (VandA) was switched to the Controlling
Production Facility
B)     The Gen lock Sync Source (each TCR had an independent Sync Gen)
was
Switched to one of the 5 sync standards used by the Production
Facilities, this became a single standard (miller time) in ~ 1986
C)    The TCR remote control was assigned to the production facility
D)    The TCR (DC 2 wire) intercom was assigned to the Production pl
E)     If the facility was SC (switching central) the “AVAIL” status &
EPIS status was provided to the Channel package.
F)     The TCR’s were special and had a control interface between TCR’s
(I never saw
that system used but it was enabled)
     G)  several other functions that I have forgotten, on air tally
etc.

I may actually have the only accurate engineering documentation of the
control system, only because I was the last engineer to mess with the
design, update & change out of the last reel to reel (TR70 b) to a TCR
(38).

			I say:

	You may have more detailed documentation, but I have several RCA white
papers describing many aspects of NBC systems from back in the 1970's.
Here are links to scans of the first 3 pages of one of the white
papers. This one is named "NBC Switching Central".  Phillip, if you
don't have this white paper and you'd like to, I've scanned all 10
pages of it and can either send them to you or link you to the
remaining pages once they are uploaded to Flickr.
		<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/3403168581/>
		<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/3403172605/>
		<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/3403175875/>

			Phillip:

 > The Burbank SC/ Automation was a Copy of New York, they were a full
Network backup, besides their normal tape delay function. I don’t think
they ever originated the Network, but they could if NY failed

			I ask:

	Do you have any photos of the Burbank SC?  I'd love to see them.

			Phillip also said:

 > My fondest memory is of the LAST live boxing event @ NBC and the
operation in the TCR area….The present CBS CEO was a NBC sports exec @
the time and had the sales operation setup in the TCR area. Must Play,
May Play, options in real time selling Commercials “during” the break.
The Operators where changing Carts with the belt moving and before the
claws came down,(the time for the belt to rotate 5 spaces) they had to
be very very good ! ( I was the RCA support person that would be blamed
if the TCR’s screwed up, they didn’t but NBC lost money in the 6 round
fight) Those tape guys where true professionals.

			I say:

	Changing carts while the belt was moving was very dangerous.  Hand
injury was common.  Those cart pushers came down FAST.  Also, the cart
carriers could seriously pinch a finger as they traveled around the
curved ends of their rotation.
	Here's a view of the TCR area:
		<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/515357017/>
	Here's the whole lineup of TCRs and a couple of TR-70Bs:
		<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/515329694/>
	This is a view of TCRs 31-34, including those custom-built control
panels (in color):
		<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/515356897/>
	And finally, TCRs 31/32:
		<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/515329586/>

			Dennis Degan, Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
	  				NBC Today Show, New York