[QuadList] VR 3000 on eBay

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Sat Apr 4 16:39:28 CDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Norwood"

<<SNIP> >

> 3)  There is a 7.5/15 speed switch.  I've not seen a dual speed before.
> Now I'm going to have to check the catalogs for the machines and the
> heads.  I never noticed that as an option.
>
> 4)  There's a major modification with the multi-pin connector added to the
> rear corner.

I've looked up some additional info related to the above.  Indeed, the
VR-3000B did have dual speed operation.  The multi-pin connector on this
machine also seems to match the one used on the 3000B.  However, this
machine is not a 'B'.  The 'B' included significant changes to the audio
section, including a new control panel with a level meter and the addition
of the cue channel.  The nameplate also confirms that this is not a 'B'.

My conclusion is that the above changes were implemented in late versions of
the 3000 and then incorporated in the 3000B along with the audio updates.  I
had never seen a 3000 with these features.

For those that are not familiar with the purpose of the multi-pin connector,
it allowed an external processing system to be connected which provided full
playback capability.  The internal playback is intended for "confidence"
playback only.  The external processor included it's own channel switcher
(RF from each channel was fed from the multi-pin), a demod, and timebase
correction.

Don