[QuadList] Reel to look for at Second Annual informalQuad-Telecine-Editor lunch at NAB

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Thu Apr 16 19:22:39 CDT 2009

Hi Ted:

The pictures on the website identified as "pre-production TRT-1AC" machines
at NBC could more accurately be identified as model VTRX which was the
official RCA designation.  While they certainly were pre-TRT-1AC, they were
actually pre-TRT-1A as the AC (color) version came even later.  The original
VTRX occupied 7 racks which was reduced to 6 for the field test machines,
whereas the production TRT-1A was reduced to 5.  Then later, the C version
added a 6th rack for color.   A major change in the layout between the VTRX
and the production machines was the location of the control panel.  On the X
it was to the left of the transport while the production machines were all
to the right.

The machines installed at WBTV were the first quads that I ever saw.  Some
years later, I spent a good bit of time with both TRT-1A and TRT-1B
machines.  There were two more variants of the tube machines, the TR-11 and
then the TR-2.  Each incorporated more solid state circuitry, much of which
formed the basic design for the TR-22 which followed them.

Don