[QuadList] History - what is the REAL story

Allan Dent allan_dent at yahoo.com.au
Fri Apr 24 23:27:26 CDT 2009

Re AMPEX - RCA - Quad Videotape

Something else to throw into the mix.
A story that I was told by an AMPEX Instructor on a VR1200 course in
Australia was that RCA held the patent for the transistor flip flop
circuitry and as you will all know there are lots of them in the AMPEX
machines, both bistable and monostable.  When AMPEX released their
machine, RCA pointed this out and so they both authorised cross patent
use and both produced quad machines.

Allan