[QuadList] History - what is the REAL story--details, source(s)

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Sat Apr 25 12:17:16 CDT 2009

Thanks to Ted for pointing out the book. Interesting reading.

Some high points: Ampex did not use the RCA heterodyning color
recording method when they produced the direct color recorder.

RCA lied in their press releases, taking credit for the quad recorder,
just as they tried to discredit Fransworth years before. They wanted
to re-write history and gave Ampex no credit at all for the
development of the videotape recorder.

It seems there were two patent exchanges by Ampex, one to RCA (1957)
and one to Sony (1960). Ampex came out on the short end with both
agreements. Their "Gindsburg patent" which covered FM recording, would
have prevented anyone for may years from making a VTR. As you all
know, FM recording is the heart of every analog VTR, from the quad to
VHS. Ampex made no use of the RCA color system and Sony didn't do much
to design transistorized circuits for Ampex.

As Ampex made improvements,RCA was free to copy them.

Best,
Park

C. Park Seward
Visit us: http://www.videopark.com