[QuadList] History - what is the REAL story--details, source(s)

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Tue Apr 28 14:28:22 CDT 2009

here is  some quickie notes on K.D. Smith  from the museum's  memorial on
him.
_http://www.smecc.org/k_d__smith.htm_ (http://www.smecc.org/k_d__smith.htm)
   is a bunch on him. Interesting guy.

these are the  type of people I sought out as  friends when I was  a kid
In Palos Verdes  there were lots of people in electronics and  aerospace on
the hill there. but over on the other coast you have the bell  labs....  a
place I only could dream of visiting..

... gee I was a pest....

1946-1947
K.D. Smith at Bell Laboratories, Cont.
K.D. Smith was project  engineer on the TE-1 and TE-2 short haul microwave
relay system intended for  Television studio to transmitter site service;
and for repeatered routes of 2 to  3 links. The TE-1 system operated between
3.7 and 4.2 Gigahertz.
An excellent explanation of this system can be found in a  publication
entitled "A New Microwave Television System" that K.D. Smith  co-authored with
J.F. Wentz. This talk was presented at the winter meeting of  the AIEE in
January 1947, and the paper was printed in the Transactions for the  AIEE
Volume 66, pages 465-470 in 1947.
For an in depth look at what it was like to set up the first  test between
Hollywood and Mount Wilson, we have on file K.D. Smith's Field  notes of
this event. It chronicles the events from unboxing the equipment  through the
successes and problems that were encountered!
1948-1951
K.D. Smith was the circuit design supervisor on the TD-2  Microwave Radio
Relay System. The TD-2 was the backbone trans-continental  microwave relay
system carrying network television programming as well as long  distance
telephone traffic. Long before communications satellites were a  practical
reality, the TD-2 system was what brought us the television shows we  so much
enjoyed from the network studios in New York, and gave us enough long  distance
telephone connections to talk to Aunt Martha back on the Eastern  seaboard
during Christmas day!
K.D. Smith's specific responsibility was the F.M. terminal  systems used in
the TD-2. The F.M. terminal converted video signals to a 70 MHz  frequency
modulated signal that modulated the microwave transmitter circuit that
generated the output signal of the microwave relay link.
K.D. Smith standing in front of a Radar console during the  World
Excellent reference on the TD-2 system can be found in "The TD-2  Microwave
Radio Relay System" by A.A. Roetken, K.D. Smith and R.W. Friis. This
article was published in the BELL SYSTEM TECHNICAL JOURNAL, Volume 30 (part 2)
Pages 1041-1077 on October 1951.
An interesting side light is that this publication was one of  the three
selected from the BELL SYSTEM TECHNICAL JOURNAL to be preserved until  the
year 6939 AD, in the Westinghouse TIME CAPSULE II. This time capsule  contains
a panorama of what was then current human activities. The capsule was
buried alongside TIME CAPSULE I. Both capsules reside under ground at the site
of the two New York world's fair. TIME CAPSULE I was buried in 1938 and the
second was buried in 1965. This historic time capsule is discussed in BELL
LABS  NEWS, May 15 1965. This newsletter as well as the publication on TD-2
that K.D.  Smith co-authored is on file at the museum.
Another excellent reference on the TD-2 system is contained in  THE TD-2
STORY, a book that was authored by A.C. Dickieson, and presented to the
museum by him. Both publications, as well as the time capsule story in the BELL
LABS NEWS present an excellent view of the TD-2 system for the person with
the  curious mind!
The TD-2 system and its steel and concrete towers was a  communications
marvel! It deserves a large article here in VINTAGE ELECTRICS in  the near
future.
Rumor whispers the demise of the TD-2 system, as widespread use  of
communications satellites is now a reality in our everyday existence. The  large
"wide bandwidth" fiber optic networks that have been created also  supplement
the satellites for long distance communication involving television
transmission and long distance telephone calls.
TD-2 indeed enriched our lives, and let us take a moment to  thank K.D.
Smith and all the other developers that made this communications  marvel
possible.

In a message dated 4/28/2009 8:22:27 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
park at videopark.com writes:

>From the  Ampex list I posted about AT&T Long Lines:

AT&T provided "Long Lines" microwave and coaxial cable. Before 1957,  kines
were used for delay, quad tape after that.

At one time Long Lines  provided all the television distribution for all
the television networks.  Prior to television over the microwave radio it was
provided by Long Lines via  coaxial cable on B2 (Black & White) terminal
equipment and later on B3  (color) terminal equipment." - Roy Juch.

Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221621499x1201450105/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Apr
ilExcScore428NO62)