[QuadList] History - what is the REAL story

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Thu Apr 30 11:33:18 CDT 2009

Don,

Thanks for your great email. Yes, stories sometimes take on a life of
their own after 50 years.

Interesting that the color quad standard was not the RCA one but the
one developed by Ampex. I guess it was the development of the Colortec
that enabled color.

So it's possible Jim was not clear or my question was not correct.
More research to be done.

 From Broadcast Engineering:

The November 2002 Freezeframe question, “Name the early TBCs from RCA
and Ampex, define the acronym and tell the key difference between the
two,” resulted in some great answers.

Exacting and correct answers were received from David Fibush, Don
Eckis, Jim Borgioli, John Turner and Tim Stoffel. Shown below are
answers from Turner and Stoffel. For you newbies out there, this
represents real history!

Editor's note: This question generated a number of excellent
question.

 From John Turner:

First of all, you cannot equate AMTEC and CAVEC to each other as they
perform very different signal corrections.

AMTEC:

This is an electronically variable delay line based on varicap diodes
invented by Charles Colson of WBBM-TV and originally called ColTEC.
When Ampex hired Colson away from WBBM, the name was changed to the
“Ampex Time Element Compensator”, i.e., AMTEC. When used with the
Ampex “Intersync” servo, the machine would output FCC stable
monochrome video.

The RCA equivalent to AMTEC was called MATC for “Monochrome Automatic
Timing Corrector,” which worked with the RCA “Pixlock” servo.

For color stability, the manufacturers used COLORTEC and CATC
circuitry, respectively.

CAVEC:

This was a module (at least pre TR-600) that performed two very
different functions. The acronym stands for “Chroma Amplitude and
Velocity Error Corrector.” The Ampex equivalent to the RCA “CA___” was
the “AutoChroma” circuitry. This portion of the CAVEC acted to
equalize on a line-by-line basis the amplitude variations of chroma
using the fixed amplitude of demod burst as a reference. The
correction was applied to the demod and had nothing to do with the
downstream TBC systems.

The RCA “__VEC” section is analogous to the Ampex “Velcomp” accessory.
Both of these devices measured the burst phase at the beginning and
end of a single line. This data was used to create a line time linear
ramp error signal, which was added back in to the TBC error signal to
reduce the appearance of color hues that shift horizontally across a
picture. This correction was needed due to the “step” nature of the
MATC/CATC/AMTEC/COLORTEC error signal derivation.

Just my two cents.
John Turner
Proud owner of Camden and Redwood City Big Iron

 From Tim Stoffel:

AMTEC-AMPEX Ampex Time Element Compensator

CAVEC-RCA Chroma Amplitude and Velocity Error Corrector

The timing corrector used in earlier quad VTRs consisted of three
blocks. These timing correctors used electronically variable delay
lines to effect their correction. The first of these three was a
coarse timing error corrector. This corrector would eliminate all but
say, 30 nanoseconds, of timing jitter. (The input jitter had to be low
to begin with. This is why video heads had air bearings and the female
guide position was servo'ed.) This was good enough for black and white.

The Ampex device for this was the AMTEC (invented by Charlie Coleman,
who lives out here somewhere in the deserts of Nevada), and the RCA
device was the ATC (Automatic Timing Corrector). (RCA loved acronyms!
A good future question would be to define some of them, like BALPS,
BALLS and PLACH.)

The second of the three correction steps was a fine corrector. This
corrector worked to get the residual jitter down to a point where
color was possible. It used a shorter but faster variable delay line.
The Ampex device for this was the COLORTEC. The RCA device was the CATC.

The third stage of timing correction, which was optional, removed
residual errors caused by changes in video head velocity as the head
scanned through each band of the picture. These errors were of a
nature that required an analog memory circuit to keep track of the
error from beginning to end of a video line, as well as the average
error for each line in a band, for each of the four heads. These
devices, which were bleeding-edge technology for their time, were
generically referred to as velocity compensators. Their error
correction signal was summed into the CATC or COLORTEC's error signal.
The RCA velocity compensator was called the CAVEC, and the Ampex
velocity compensator was simply called an “Automatic Velocity
Compensator.”

Best,
Park

C. Park Seward