[QuadList] Quads at the University of Miami

W4wj at aol.com W4wj at aol.com
Sun Aug 2 18:10:51 CDT 2009

Hi Ted...  Here are the answers to your questions from  Fred:

Sure! The Quads (there were 3: a TR1, a TR1A and a TR1C, for  color) were
semi-retired when two Sony 2800 3/4's, with the manual elevator,  were
obtained by the department sometime in late 76... Shortly after a 1" Ampex  was
purchased and that was the end of the C. I personally did not witness the
removal of the TR'S because I left the U of M in March of 77 to start working
as  WTVJ's news engineer and they were still there. Only the TR1 remained to
continue to reproduce material for the class rooms as we had a large stock
of 2"  History recordings on the shelf. The person that was in charge of the
 department, and retired a few year ago, is Victor Jugenheimer K4YSU.  He
really knows the history...

With my pleasure you have taken me back a long  time.    Fred.

TNX Fred!!

Don Murray  W4WJ
Fredericksburg, TX

Retired from 40 years in Miami  Television
35+ years @ WTVJ NBC O&O

In a message dated 8/1/2009 12:51:44 P.M. Central Daylight Time,