[QuadList] Ampex VR-1200 on ebay-in Apalachin, NY

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Thu Dec 10 17:34:58 CST 2009

Hi Chris:

You are partially correct.  What you are thinking about is Module 13 which is standard.  It contains the dropout detector, the demod input switching, and the circuitry for inserting the peak white reference pulse from the AFC system.  However, the two AFC modules were separate and optional.

The "real" DOC requires the addition of Module 16 which is what appears to be installed in this machine.  This is a delay line which delays the RF by one line and then subsequently feeds it back to module 13 where it is substituted for the DO.  However, if the optional delay line module is not installed, then a fixed level as you described is inserted by the switch.

So there were two "levels" of DOC from Ampex, the freebie that you recall and then a "real" one as installed in this machine.  I use the quotes with "real" because the design obviously did not provide properly phased video for the dropout.  That's what led to the market for the 3M and Merlin (and others?) DOC's which delayed video instead of RF and then matched it to the proper phase.

Don