[QuadList] Merlin vs stock Ampex

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Tue Dec 22 18:21:48 CST 2009

Hi Park:

More questions than answers....  What are the frequencies of the mutiburst
packets?  Also, how are the measurements made (EE or playback)?  For some
reason, 1328 has no color burst, so I'm not sure if the waveform is "valid"
to compare to 1340.

The performance of the 1200 is related to which filter is installed in the
signal system.  The best is 4.5 MHz, and the response should be virtually
flat to that point.  Based on that, I'm guessing that this is not a
"standard" multiburst with the top packet at 4.2 MHz.  But if the packets
are higher frequencies, how are the higher frequencies getting past the
filter?  A more revealing test is to use a 5 MHz sweep instead of
multiburst.  In any event, for comparison, both machines need to have the
same filters.

Then you get into what part of the system is doing what.  It's good to look
at the output of the demods to be sure that they are both correct and
identical, and then compare it to the output of the machine.  That way you
establish whether differences are in the signal system or in the processing.

Don