[QuadList] Merlin vs stock Ampex

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Wed Dec 23 07:17:29 CST 2009

Time to step into this one.  The discussion is correct by Don.   There are
a number of differences that the processors can do.  I am going  to go with
the top sweep as the Ampex unit.

The issue is that we do not know if the same signal is going into the TBC
portion of the machines.  Assuming that the inputs were correct, then it
comes down to how each process works.  The Nyquist principle will have to  be
taken into account.  So what is the sample frequency of the Merlin  TBC?
Based upon that, then there can be some guesses as to the bandwidth  of the
filter pre A-D.  If it is 3 times sub carrier then the Nyquist will  tell us
that the bandwidth has to be less than 6.  The filter has to be a  sharp cut
off so the gentle roll off is not possible.  Also there is the  filter after
the D-A.  So tell us what is the sample frequency.

Since the AMTEC and Colortec may have been designed with  bandwidths to
meet PAL standards, there should be a great bandwidth in these  units.  Does
anyone know if there was a difference between these  units?  Other than the
4.43 MHz color frequency?

Chris Hill
WA8IGN