[QuadList] OT-Glass reels for 1" tape--Benefits of use, photos

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Tue Feb 3 10:14:20 CST 2009

Member Pat Shevlin of the Media Preserve near Pittsburgh, PA and I
were talking yesterday, and I mentioned I was looking for a 14" (3-
hour) 1" reel and Park Seward was looking for a 14" (90 min.) 2" Quad
reel.

His response:  "We use glass reels."

Seems these are pretty common in the computer industry.

Pat says, "As I said we had over 100+ 1” VTRs at Technicolor
throughout the world and we found these reels to be the most reliable
in preventing tape damage due to bent take-up reels.  They are also
static free."

The damage, he says, was to the edges of tape.

Pat sent pictures this morning that we share here.

Their sturdiness also surprised him... having dropped some a number of
times without breakage or chipping.  The edges of the reel are rounded
like the lip of a good drinking glass.

With no hole to stick your finger through when threading, the "last
lap" requires some inventiveness.

IIRC, it goes something like this: You lick your finger, put your
finger on the inside-side of the tape to transfer a little moisture,
and then thread the tape into the reel so that the end of the tape
contacts the reel and the moisture provides some "stickiness"... at
least enough to get the tape to wrap up on the hub.

So far, 20 minutes of Googling yesterday and this morning hasn't
turned up a source for these reels, but I may not (yet) know the right
combination of words to put in.

Suggestions?

flashscan8.us