[QuadList] AMIA Conference 2009--St. Louis--Quad Workshop/Seminar/Presentation?

Klara Foeller klf at mohistory.org
Thu Feb 5 11:47:32 CST 2009

Hello all,

The AMIA conference is usually in mid-November and I'm thrilled it's
coming to St. Louis.  I think St. Louis was proposed as a conference
site at the AMIA Vancouver conference in 2003, and all of about 3 people
voted for it, so I'm surprised...but delighted.  St. Louis has a great
central location, good conference facilities, great food and
entertainment options...and of course, a fantastic history museum.

I'm planning on proposing a couple of panel sessions for this year's
conference: the first I'm calling "Gonzo Media Lab" which will be
intended as encouragement and advice to smaller institutions on how to
develop some level of effective in-house mastering and digitization
capabilities and a second about providing and preparing archival media
for use in museum exhibitions.  And while I'm not proposing a session
specifically on quad video, I'd be happy to participate in helping to
organize the session, make a presentation and/or speak as part of a
panel discussion.  I'll also have recently mastered and digitized
material recovered from quad video available for screening.

The Midwest Archives Conference is also happening in St. Louis this
year, the end of April, and I have been asked to participate in a
session discussion on video collections, with specific interest in quad
tape, and I've also been asked to host an open house and a quad
demonstration for that event.  The Missouri History Museum is
enthusiastic about the opportunity to showcase our capabilities at MAC
and I've already discussed doing the same for the AMIA conference with
my supervisor, Chris Gordon.

I think it is very likely that I will be able to put these events on our
calendars, but I will need the help and support of our Quad community to
make sure the events are well attended and informative.

I'm also looking forward to meeting other Quad list participants in person.

Klara Foeller, Curator
Moving Image & Sound Collections
Missouri History Museum
314 746-4513