[QuadList] Responding to: Excellent Exchange - Need training for non-gray hairs

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Tue Feb 17 10:28:51 CST 2009

On Feb 17, 2009, at 6:53 AM, C. Park Seward wrote:
> Great discourse, Allan.
>
> However, if I only had one chance to transfer a quad tape that was
> falling apart, I would want one of those expensive grey hairs doing
> it.

The concept of a "touchless Quad Head" is what caused me to mention
the first QVTG lunch at NAB to Steve Nease when he brought up the
subject at a business breakfast we were having.

The need to train new people—with or without hair—in the care and
feeding of Quad machines, safe and careful recovery of content from
tape and the need to "migrate" the knowledge the experienced folks
have onto some form of media is what transformed the lunch discussion
from enjoyable socializing to enjoyable socializing with a beneficial,
long-term purpose.

I think those who were there said, "Yes, let's do that."  And those
who have come along since, have said so, too.

Steve indicated there was likely money available to bring people to
NAVCC for training seminars and other things.  That needs to be
followed up on.

The concept of a "Quad Tour" that helps take the training to the
trainees has been floated. That also needs to be penciled out and
developed, and put into action or shelved until there's money,
interest, support.

Either way, we as a group need to start developing the "course
material" and then work out how to deliver it... and at the same time
preserve the teaching for future generations... the great grandkids
and great-great grandkids of the folks who began videotape—this great
thing we're all fascinated by.

They may develop the technology that makes a touchless Quad head
possible. Or other "non-invasive, non-destructive" methods of
recovering the cultural content from the tapes now on shelves.

They may laugh or wonder at what they see, but we'll have given them
some insight into their roots, and connection with us at the same time.

What's do you think our next step in this process... a process we can
begin to do now?

Skype: 	TedLangdell