[QuadList] Non-Contact Extraction of the Program from Quad Tape - Ampex n...

allanmc-avtech at comcast.net allanmc-avtech at comcast.net
Wed Feb 18 20:29:20 CST 2009

Photographing the magnetic patterns seems like an option worth consideration if the resolution and other technical parameters is sufficient to reproduce the origninal program.   That's not my area of expertise but think others in the group might be more familiar with electron photography.  Personally, I'm curious to learn if the photograph would reveal all the magnetic properties necessary to reproduce the original program.

Group question :  Is it possible for a 2 dimensional image to contain all the technical characteristics such as flux density, FM modulation within the RF difference signal, head tip-tape engagement, etc.?  Can the magnetic image be photographed directly off the tape or must it be developed visually first?   I'm concerned that the size of the iron powder particles might be a limiting factor assuming that development is necessary.   I'd be happy to hear that the electron photograph can be made without developing the magnetic image with iron powder particles.

As usual, I'm curious to see what the group-think response is.

Allan