[QuadList] Gene Kelley Show color recording system--which was used?

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Fri Jan 2 02:06:41 CST 2009

I'm hoping that Ed Reitan and/or David Crosthwait will pop in with the
technical specifications involving the various color formats that were
in use at NBC Burbank in the spring of 1958.

In a post this summer, David reported that the 1958, the WRC-TV
dedication was "zone delay recorded at NBC Burbank in low band color
with RCA 8:1 pre-emphasis on an RCA TRT-1. The low band color standard
was not quite agreed upon at that time, hence there were various modes
of pre-emphasis being experimented with."

The facility had one RCA Color Video Tape Recorder and eight Ampex
black-and-white machines that could record color using with RCA Labs
hetrodyne electronics.

Ed says he identified "RCA Labs Color" for the format of the original
Eisenhower, Astaire, and other NBC color tapes used on the modified
Ampex machines at Burbank from early 1958 through at least April 1959.

As I posted earlier, Ed recommends using the term "RCA Broadcast
Color" for the format produced by the RCA TRT-1AC, which he reports
was used by NBC at Burbank starting in April, 1958.