[QuadList] My Videotape Background

allanmc-avtech at comcast.net allanmc-avtech at comcast.net
Tue Jan 6 21:50:16 CST 2009

Quadlist,

I'm not exactly new to the group, having joined a while ago when I retired from
the NAVCC in Culpeper.  But, I think its about time that I elaborated on my
videotape background.
Earlier, I chimed in and added something to the discussion about WHCA videotapes
which I had my hand in recording while I was assigned in the White House
Communications Agency.

While working in the White House VTR Recording Section, I also worked the moon
light shifts at several local DC production houses.   Mostly at TeleColor, but also at
Logos and then some at Byron's Motion Pictures.  At TeleColor in Alexandria, Va.
I operated VR2000 VTRs duplicating commercials and videotapes for the bicycle
distribution of 2" quad tapes.  (If anyone does not understand bicycle
distribution please let know so I can share with you that former means of
shipping tape dubs around the country).
In the tape room there were three VTRs plus a 4th out in the mobile unit truck
parked in the garage.  I remember the nights playing tapes from the truck onto
the three record VTRs in the tape room.  And then, cutting down and shipping
tapes onto spot reels to be put into a mail bag.  When I
worked at Logos in Arlington, Va.  I used two VR2000 machines to duplicate
commercials and government contract dubs.   Plus, I nearly went blind evaluating
BLACKED tapes.... while actually counting dropouts.   Wow!   I find that memory
really interesting now.   I did similar dub jobs over at  Byrons but there using
AVR1 machines.   And at Byron's in DC, I was fortunate to also operate a high
speed 2" videotape duplicator machine.   Still amazed to think it actually
transferred the magnetic signal from oxide to oxide of two
tapes while both ran at 300 ips through a transfer chamber.  That sight would
take your breathe away.   But, then there was one night when a brake shoe pulled
in and caused the destruction of all three slaves tapes plus the mirror master
running at high speed.   Byron also gave me the thrill of a post production suite where I set up and
operated a VR2000 plus a Slow Mo Disk.   Grand total of 30 seconds storage time!
Using the disk in the production suite was fund.  But, it was pretty challenging when
using it in a football remote van next to a stadium where I did instant replays
and assisted in highlight packages.

Finally, I caught a job at the CBS News Bureau in Washington, D.C.  In addition
to installing microwave links all over town for News ENG I finally got my dream
assignment in the VTR room were we had six VR2000 VTRs which were used to record & edit news insert segments for the various CBS Network broadcast.   When the Nightwatch show began we were
challenged to rapidly put into effect a time delayed broadcast.  Wish I had
taken a picture but Harry Remmers (our resident genius) combined two of the
quads together so that the first machine recorded the live Control Room feed and the second one played it
back to Master Control.  Then, the space between the two VTRs was carefully
adjusted until we had 7 second time delay.   Talk about fun times!!!    Thanks
to Harry.

For times of heavy news inserts from the Washington bureau, we installed an
ACR-25 which was a whirling, blowing, sucking, marvel that played 2" quad
videotape cassettes.  The sounds that machine made became music to my ears and I
learned to trouble shoots its air controls by listening to its breathing sounds.

These fun times all came after my years in the White House VTR Recording Section
where we recorded off-air news programs for the White House Press Office. And,
also edited weekly news summaries.   I wrote about those interesting days in my
earlier message today.

Following my CBS career, I moved over to the Library of Congress where I headed
the section that operated a Rank Cintel plus a VR2000 and VR1200 in the
preservation of film and videotapes.  In time, we planned a new facility which
was built in Culpeper, Va.    After moving the Library's video recording Lab to
Culpeper, the facility was known as the National Audio Video Conservation Center
(NAVCC).

Then, in 2008, after more than 45 years experience working in broadcasting and
managing technical facilities using the recording arts, I retired.  Now, I
reside nearby only minutes away from the world's largest collection of the
videotapes and machinery that I so dearly love.  Although my retirement was
necessitated in order to insure the proper care for my Nursing Home bound
mother, I am now able to turn my attention to exploring how I might maintain my
interests in quad videotape and the preservation arts required to maintain those
national treasures.    Therefore, I welcome all opportunities to consult and
share expertise while the means to do so remains.

Thanks to the Quad.list for gathering the audience of men and women who love the technology which we are all so indedted to for our passion and livelihood.

Allan McConnell
Home 540 825-9270
Cell 703 328-6821