[QuadList] New Octaplex recorder design

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Tue Jan 13 19:39:10 CST 2009

I ran this by Ted and he thought it was appropriate for the quad list, so
here's some info that may be interesting to the group.

Tim Stoffel and I have exchanged a good bit of info over the years about
octaplex recorders.  For those of you not familiar with these, they are
transverse recorders with 8 heads, allowing two simultaneous recordings on a
single tape.  Some years ago, I even found us some octaplex heads for an RCA
machine.  All of what we have seen to this point has been based on an
8-headed design on a single drum.  Now, I have something new to report.

I just got a manual dated Feb '63 for an Ampex AN/ALH-4.  It is an air-borne
or portable machine, dual channel, but instead of 8 heads on one drum, it
has two "standard" quad heads sandwiched together!  It will record a single
channel at 12.5 ips for an hour or run in two-channel mode at 25 ips for a
half-hour. Response is 10 Hz to 4 mHz, 30 db S/N.   It has two auxilliary
channels, one of which is available with a multiplexer to record three audio
channels.

The manual is quite large, so I have a good bit of studying to do, but
several things besides the head design jump out at first glance.  Because it
is designed to operate in a variety of temperatures,  there are several
different systems used to maintain a constant temperature inside the
recorder.  The transport cover seals and there is air circulated within the
unit and passed thru a heat-exchanger area where outside air is used for
cooling when needed.  For low temperatures, there is a case heater to bring
the entire machine up to 65 degrees C, but also a heated roller on the
supply side of the tape to bring the tape to a predetermined temperature,
and the female head guide is also temperature controlled!

Another cute feature is the head-hour meter which is part of the head
assembly.  I've attached a pic of the transport so you can see what the
beast looks like.  It looks like some of the mechanical design definitely
carried forward to the VR-3000.

Enjoy!

Don