[QuadList] New to The Quad Group

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Mon Jan 26 14:32:53 CST 2009

I have worked with quad machines for years.  Some of the units that I  have
worked on include the following
RCA TRT-1B with the color rack.  A six rack machine that I still have
pictures of in color.
RCA TR-4 that had been high banded.
RCA TR-5 roll around low band recorder.
RCA TR-60 that was serial number 5.

Ampex VR-1200B with sidecar series.  One with the editor and  Editec.  The
other with a Velcomp and 3M DOC.  Velcomp and DOC were  added later to the first
one.  These were near the end of the  production.

Ampex VR-1200 series at a station.  Many different  configurations.

Ampex AVR-2's.  A total of 6 at the post house.  There were  three that had
been in a fire and were rebuilt.  We sold two others  that were rebuilt from
the fire.

Ampex ACR-25.  A great machine.

With the quads, we had a RA-4000 editor.  It was very fast and the  only
drawback was the lack of memory.  We were one of the first to  interface to an
AVR-2 and discovered that the RA-4000 would not do a match edit  all the times.
There was a modification required to hold off the release  of the Capstan TSO
until boost was off.

Additional machines that I have operated once or twice or have seen include
RCA TR-22, RCA TR-11, Ampex VR1000, Ampex VR1100, Ampex VR-2000, Ampex
VR-3000,  Ampex AVR-1, Ampex AVR-3, Ampex VR-1002, and an Ampex VR-1006.

I have the complete set of manuals for a VR-1200B including all the
accessories.  The manuals for the RA-4000.  VPR-2, AVR-2 including  training course.
Some ACR-25 manuals.  RCA TR-3 and TR-4  manual.  Plus a TRT-1A manual.

Chris Hill

_chill315 at aol.com_ (mailto:chill315 at aol.com)
SMPTE member
Detroit, MI area