[QuadList] Gene Kelley Show color recording system

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 2 18:56:55 CST 2009

		On Jan 2, 2009, at 6:16 PM, Phillip G. Shaw wrote:

 > Question: Why would the chroma not have the same error as the
luminance?
 > RE: TCR100A question. The last 7 machines where delivered to NBC-NYC
in ~ 1985. These replaced the existing TCR's of 3rd & 4th shop order.
The 7th shop order was TCR100A & SP100A. The Machines where delivered
Standard MONO 70 mil, but upgraded on site by RCA to Stereo Split track
(2 ea, 25Mil plus guard band). The EPIS (electronic program ident
system) was transferred from old to new. I was the NBC BSE Project
Engineer.

		I query:

	You mean NBC had MORE TCR-100s installed after these? -
		<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/515356897/>
		<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/515329694/>
		<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/515357017/>
	I thought the old TCRs were replaced with Panasonic MII Multiplay
machines (I forgot what they were named) around 1984 or so.  If your
statement is true (and I believe you), those new TCRs must have hung on
for only about a year or so.

		Phillip also said:

 > Just a comment Re: Audio Quality & Picture to Sound timing.  Audio
quality is normally a function/limitation of the TAPE not electronic or
copper limitations. The days of quad had near Zero audio to video delay
within plants. The invention of Digital affects introduced the frame of
delay.. and then video frame syncs. Audio delays followed in ~ about
1987-88 and the Electronic Clap board feature in the TEK- VM700

		I add:

	That may be true within a TV plant, Phillip, but up until the late
'70's, network feeds carried audio and video separately, which often
led to audio/video synch errors by the time they reached their
destination.

			Dennis Degan, Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
	  				NBC Today Show, New York