[QuadList] NBC Archive film transfers--What telecine's used

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 4 19:37:14 CST 2009

		On Jan 4, 2009, at 2:48 PM, Ted Langdell wrote:

 > If the archive material's on film, what telecine is used for transfer
in NJ?  Any idea?

		I reply:

	I can't answer definitively as I wasn't working for NBC at the time.
I know there were a bunch of TK-27s and TK-28s at 30 Rock when I first
worked for NBC in 1978.  Those TK-27's and -28's may have been used to
mass-transfer material from news film to tape back in the '80's when
the migration from film to tape would have most likely taken place.  It
could have been done about the time of the MII machines since a lot of
that material is on MII, even now.  But I see the telltale tape wrap of
Beta SP (as tapes were loaded into the machines) on the microwave feed
from the New Jersey Archive all the time, so I'm guessing that most if
not all of it is now on Beta SP.

			Dennis Degan, Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
	  				NBC Today Show, New York