[QuadList] NBC Archive film transfers--What telecine's used

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sun Jan 4 22:40:48 CST 2009

Hi, Alan,

On Jan 4, 2009, at 6:15 PM, Alan Rosenfeld wrote:

> There are still services available to transfer old film in NJ.  I
> believe Ascent Media, aka the old Audio plus Video, still has some
> Ranks running archive.  As far as I know the nets do not have
> telecine setups running anywhere.
>
> Alan Rosenfeld

CBS Television City in Hollywood has an aging Rank Mark III. David
Keleshian is the operator, and arranged the visit to "Jurassic Park"—
where the Quads live—for folks from the Telecine Internet Group.
You'll see pictures of the visit on Quadvideotape.com:  http://quadvideotapegroup.com/QuadHistory-1.htm

They'll use it for quick transfers for news, but footage for major
production use goes out of house, he said.

I would think its unlikely that most most TV news archives have
transferred all their film to tape, simply because there's so MUCH
film material on the shelves.

Some stuff may be transferred on-site... but for major productions or
for non-network clients purchasing clips, it likely goes out of house
for transfer with tape copies made for the net archive.

I'm just curious about what in-house capabilities networks with
significant film have, because we're so far removed from the era when
telecines—either projector or continuous motion—were common at
television network facilities.