[QuadList] Quad Libraries--White House Communications Agency

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Tue Jan 6 09:47:13 CST 2009

There really isn't a perfect preservation medium. Optical media would
seem to be the perfect choice since it is digital, small and cheap but
the lifespan is suspect. Magnetic tape actually has performed better
than many would have predicted: I see 50 year old tapes that play fine.

Stone cuttings work well but take up too much space. :-)

I have been told that hard drives don't take well to storage. Put one
on the shelf and in a few years it won't spin up.

RAID 5 (striped disks with parity) is an excellent choice for on-line
storage since it protects in case of a drive failure. A Quantel box I
had used nine disks in an array, one for each bit and a parity drive.
If any drive failed, the box would continue working until you replaced
the failed drive and then automatically, in the background, rebuild
the new drive.

Best,
Park

C. Park Seward