[QuadList] Question for any ex-NBC types out there (Tony Quinn)

Tony Quinn tony at tqvideo.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 00:10:05 CST 2009

In message <1105425D135E4214908C82B06BBBB1B4 at homearizona>, Phillip G.
Shaw <pshaw at sitestar.net> writes
>I would add to Ted Langdell response noting that the  Telecine was used
>to make the off-Line Production EDL.
>
>The On-line (Air Master) editing was done with the Miller-editor.
>
>Per: Jack Calloway
>"once the offline was completed, the video tape editor manually
>conformed the video tape, using the Smith splicer, and making his cuts
>based on the ESG."
>
>to add to the description of the Smith Splicer, the developing was a
>very small area of the "Control Track"
>to find the nearest FRAME pulse to the ESG. The cut & splice made to
>matching frame pulses.
>
>I remember making edits with that spicer and the resulting Headwheel
>Zing on the first pass. Butt Ugly

No - I'm completely familiar with the Smith splicer, I just found it
hard to believe that by the late 60's electronic editing wasn't being
used on such a high profile show. After all Editec had been around for a
few years at that point (1964 IIRC)
--
If one person has delusions, we call them psychotic. If, however, 1.5 billion
people have delusions we must apparently call them a religious group, and