[QuadList] Guerilla splices (was RCA types) (Joe Owens) (Dennis Degan)

Tony Quinn tony at tqvideo.co.uk
Tue Jan 13 13:56:15 CST 2009

In message <98F56C388BB04EA5BA8D316C319FE5BE at homearizona>, Phillip G.
Shaw <pshaw at sitestar.net> writes
>"contradict:
>
>Well, you COULD edit the wrong field sequence . . . with dire results."
>
>(Dennis Degan)
>

>Dennis, I am surprised that an Editor, of that era, would think he was
>controlling the precise physical point of the edit.(poke) The edit
>systems before CMX, and after CMX, all functioned basically the same.
>The CMX Basic Editing Course & the CMX Advanced Editing Course, that I
>attended in 1979, did not reveal or invent anything new in editing, but
>did provided the editor with house keeping tools & features.  The prior
>Edit Systems, like the EDS time code system, had to have match frame
>edit points entered into the EDL manually. I have/had zero creative
>talent but I can drive the suckers. I am not suggesting it was or is
>necessary for an editor to know all the nuts & bolts, but most editors
>developed proven procedures that worked for them. My comments only
>relate to professional videotape machines up to 1996.

I suspect that Denis is talking about cut edits, not electronic.
--
If one person has delusions, we call them psychotic. If, however, 1.5 billion
people have delusions we must apparently call them a religious group, and