[QuadList] Check out Vintage Quadruplex VTR Headwheel RCA TRTQuad- eBay (item 23025235

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Thu Jan 29 22:09:15 CST 2009

Hi Ed:

The logo and the claim of "Trademark" appeared on numerous Ampex documents,
but was discontinued after failing to be legally registered.

The information I have from an Ampex historian is: "The term "Videotape" was
*attempted* to be registered by Ampex.  However, Ampex permitted its
licensees to use logo art and a music fanfare, describing the immediately
preceding program as being Video Taped, before the term had actually been
granted by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.  Such use, coming before
registration had actually been granted, resulted in the term "Videotape"
being made a generic term, and ineligible for registration."

Literature published after the registration was denied refered for a time to
Videotape as "the brand name of Television Recorders made by the Ampex
Corporation".  That phrase appears as early as 1962 although the use of the
"TM" continued to appear in some documents for several more years before it
was completely discontinued.

A check of the USPTO files does indicate that TMs were granted for other
quad related items including INTERSYNC and AMTEC.  While they missed out on
the Videotape name, they did get a TM on VIDEOFILE, the gigantic system that
stored documents on videotape.

Don