[QuadList] Guy's Army tape playback--Was it recorded in one ofthese?? (and other misc. things)

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Thu Jul 2 16:27:43 CDT 2009

Replies inserted below....
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ted Langdell

  He also had something to do with pairing the VR-3000B with the Ampex TBC-900 for a portable broadcast system:
  http://www.chuckcolby.com/portabroadcast.html

  Anyone have a TBC-900?

  The article is a bit hard to read, but the interesting thing about the TBC-900 is that as the article indicates, it's much more than a TBC, including most of the signal system of the AVR-2.  The interface cable from the VR-3000B provides the 4 "raw" individual RF channels to the "TBC" which then provides EQ, switching and demod.  The VR-3000B transport and servo function as usual.

  What I don't remember seeing when I first visited (after it went into bankruptcy a few years later) are the pair of
  Type A machines in the background of this photo:
  http://www.sbe124.org/Tours/Sacramento/KMUV/KMUV_tweaking_1974_400X600.jpg

  I'd guess these were fully decked out VR-7900's?  Wonder where they went.

  Those are VPR-7950 or VPR-7950A machines.  The 7900 series was the first to go to the VPR prefix.  The 7900 is the "portable" version and the 7950 is the console version.  The difference between the 7900 and 7900A is the TBC.  The 7900 was equipped with a TBC-790 while the 7900A had the TBC-800.  Without seeing the lower doors open, you can't tell if these are 7950's or 7950A's.  The monitor bridges appear to have mono video monitors and a waveform monitor.  Fully configured, they would have had Tek 650 monitors and both waveform and vector monitors.  Those were really the only options for the 7950 console machines while the 7900 had many configurations.

  Don