[QuadList] Guy's Army tape playback--Was it recorded in one ofthese?? (a...

Dale Lamm dlamm1 at neo.rr.com
Mon Jul 6 21:25:46 CDT 2009

Spent many an evening looking after an AMPEX UHF XMTR (originally a Townsend). AMPEX did not keep the XMTR line for long, IIRC.

An AMPEX VTR salesman once told me there was a segment of the market (think middle eastern) that would not buy anything from RCA. This created an opportunity for GE and AMPEX, I suppose.

Dale
  Ampex tried to become an RCA in its ability to supply a complete station.  Was not the transmitter made by Townsend?

  They sold just about everything.  It was one of the things that led to a crisis and downsizing.

  Chris Hill