[QuadList] NPR story: Houston, We Erased The Apollo 11 Tapes

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Thu Jul 16 09:27:09 CDT 2009

listening to it on the radio  now........  ERASED!   how  sad is  that?:

_Morning  Edition_
(http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=3) , July  16, 2009 ·An exhaustive, three-year search for some tapes that
contained the original footage of the Apollo 11 moonwalk has concluded that
they were probably destroyed during a period when NASA was erasing old
magnetic tapes and reusing them to record satellite data.

_http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106637066_
(http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106637066)

NASA has,  however, offered up a consolation prize for the 40th anniversary
of the Apollo  11 mission — the agency has taken the best available
broadcast television  footage and contracted with a digital restoration firm to
enhance it, so that  the public can see the first moonwalk in more detail than
ever  before.

_http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/hd/apollo11.html_
(http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/hd/apollo11.html)

The restoration is ongoing at Lowery Digital in Burbank and is supposed  to
be finished in September.

You can watch the 11AM EDT news briefing (at 8 am PDT) on the NASA cable,
satellite or internet channels:
_http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html_
(http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html)

July  16, Thursday
11  a.m. - NASA News Briefing on Restored Apollo 11 Moonwalk Video  from
the Newseum - HQ (All  Channels)
1  p.m. - Apollo 40th Anniversary Roundtable - HQ (All  Channels)

There are other Apollo special programs this week:
_http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Breaking.html_
(http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Breaking.html)

Skype:  TedLangdell
e-mail: _ted at quadvideotapegroup.com_ (mailto:ted at quadvideotapegroup.com)

=

Thanks,

Ed Sharpe, Archivist for SMECC

See the Museum's Web Site at _www.smecc.org_ (http://www.smecc.org/)

We are always looking for  items to add to the museum's display and ref.
library - please advise if you  have anything we can use.

Coury House / SMECC
5802 W. Palmaire Ave.  Phone 623-435-1522
Glendale Az 85301 USA

CONFIDENZIALE:  Questo messaggio e gli eventuali allegati sono confidenziali
e riservati. Se  vi è stato recapitato per errore e non siete fra i
destinatari elencati,  siete pregati di darne immediatamente avviso al
mittente. Le informazioni  contenute non devono essere mostrate ad altri, né
utilizzate, memorizzate o  copiate in qualsiasi forma.

CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail and any attachments  are confidential and may
contain reserved information. If you are not one of  the named recipients,
please notify the sender immediately. Moreover, you  should not disclose the
contents to any other persons, nor should the  information contained be used
for any purpose or stored or copied in any  form.

**************Can love help you live longer? Find out now.
(http://personals.aol.com/articles/2009/02/18/longer-lives-through-relationships/?ncid=emlweu
slove00000001)