[QuadList] NPR right, AP wrong in lead on Houston, We Erased The Apollo 11 Tapes

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Thu Jul 16 18:32:55 CDT 2009

Very erroneous lead in the AP story.

AP got it wrong. Twice!

NPR got it right. The NPR story says "some tapes," not "videotapes."

It is ESSENTIAL to make the distinction that the (missing, lost,
erased, whatever) tapes being that were being searched for are one-
inch DATA tapes that had telemetry, biomedical information and the
slow-scan analog video recorded on them.

Contrary to the wrong impression the AP writer is responsible for
creating, first generation NTSC videotapes —call them "originals" if
you will—of the moonwalk and other EVA events do exist.

They were sought and used in the restoration described today at the
Newseum.

Some of these tapes were recorded closer to the scan converter, and
others, like the NASA Houston tapes went through several microwave
links, an Intelsat hop, and land lines to reach Houston, and then more
landlines/microwave to get to CBS.

And as David C. pointed out, NASA sent some apparently first
generation Quad tapes of the Apollo 11 Extra Vehicular Activities to a
surplus auction where they were purchased, and have formed the basis
of a program that will be compared to the results achieved by the NASA
videotape restoration project.

Did NASA have access to the auctioned tapes for the restoration?

In hindsight, did NASA turn loose material it should have kept?  Yeah.

Could it know that in 1969 or up to when the DATA tapes were re-used?
That's arguable.

These were telemetry data tapes, and—as Dick Nafzger said this morning—
were more for analysis if there was some kind of glitch or mishap.

NASA experts could "rewind" the telemetry and get some insight into
what was happening at any given time, much like they did with the
Apollo 13 incident.  Once the mission was done... there wasn't a
mission-critical need or reason to keep them... and at that time,
nobody had a clue about what technology might be able to do with the
slow-scan recordings.

And the news—released today—that a pair of Ampex VR-660's had been
modified and set up at the Parkes tracking station to record the slow
scan video by itself, triggered a search for those tapes.
Unfortunately, those couldn't be found.

That tape set could have appropriately been labelled "Do Not Erase."

<whew!>

Ted

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com