[QuadList] Network Distribution via AT&T 1976

dcfwtx at aol.com dcfwtx at aol.com
Mon Jul 20 17:25:52 CDT 2009

Attached is a map showing the ?PBS network routing in 1976. Domestic satellite distribution was just being developed. PBS eventually abandoned this AT&T ground based network method when their Collins C Band gear was installed at participating affiliates.?Note the "Round Robin" lines. In Dallas, when we would do a?MacNeil/Lehrer??feed at KERA, we could break the round robin and feed Washington up through the mid west to east route.?

Also, there's nothing quite like hearing "Soundstage" with dull 5 khz. "equalized" lines. In fact, all incoming network audio was very poor by the time it reach Texas, until the diplexing method was used, then replaced by satellites.?

On Nov. 22, 1963, I believe WBAP-TV broke into their round robin to feed NBC NYC with the latest JFK reports. Initially, there were issues with this under-the-gun insert, with feedback and other problems. As Chet Huntley said in the first few moments, "all circuits into and out of Dallas are jammed".

It got a lot simpler when satellite delivery became normal. I am sure others more in the trenches can come up with some great stories to tell.

David