[QuadList] Was Videotape of CBS Kennedy assassination, Now SCETV 1-inch Consoles

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 21 13:09:17 CDT 2009

		On Jul 20, 2009, at 9:15 PM, Sammy Jones wrote:

 > On a side note, I recently got to witness a quad machine in action
for the first time!  It was a later model Ampex (sorry don't know
enough about them to know which one; a model number wasn't evident on
the machine) at South Carolina Educational TV.  What a thrill to see a
tape threaded and played back on that beast!

		I offer:

	In the mid 70's, I worked at WIS-TV in Columbia, SC not far from
SCETV's network operations center (the old one).  At that time, SCETV
had a couple of AVR-1's.  Sammy, what year did you see those quads in
action?
	The last time I was there in 1979, in addition to the AVR-1's, they
had a bunch of upright consoles which housed 1-inch VTR's.  I've never
seen that type of machine since.  The memory is dim; I don't know who
made those 1-inch VTR's.  I'm sure that they were not RCA, but they
could have been made by either Ampex or Sony.  I'm also pretty sure
that they weren't VPR-3's (this was in 1979 so it was too early for
VPR-3's).  The consoles were wide, sort of like those quad machines we
saw a while ago here, mounted in an airplane for the Army.  They might
have been specially built consoles just for SCETV, not sure.

	  					NBC Today Show, New York