[QuadList] SCETV Consoles--did they look like these RCA badgedsystems?

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Wed Jul 22 12:33:42 CDT 2009

In Andrew Inglis's book, "Behind the Tube", he says, "The TR-800 was a
disaster." He reports that the original attempt was "to design a
machine that was essentially a copy of the Sony product." In 1979,
they changed direction and it "was intended to be more advanced and to
have more features than the Sony machine." It failed. "The design
objectives were too ambitious and the engineers were unable to design
a reliable product."

But because of the resources RCA put toward the VTR, they starved the
camera and transmitter programs and they deteriorated.

Once RCA's most profitable arm, the division sank into the red. In
1985, they closed down the division and took a loss of $81 million.

Best,
Park

C. Park Seward
Visit us: http://www.videopark.com