[QuadList] Friday Night Follies: Adds missing links to sign on and spot

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Sun Jun 21 13:03:59 CDT 2009

Ted,

If you look at a Beta SX and compare it to Digi Beta, much the same
parts and boards. Not all that different, the biggest being the
encoder/decoder method. Since Sony already had their coder in silicon,
it would be less expensive to put it into another machine than to
design a totally new encoder/decoder. A digital 1/2" transport is the
same on both machines.

I don't see why SX did cost a lot less then Digi Beta. A variation
would be less costly than making an entirely new format.

The VPR-300 had the VPR 250 come later to reduce the cost. And like
you said the PVW/UVW machines did it.

I think they were making good money on Digi Beta and didn't want to
reduce the cost/profit.

Best,
Park

C. Park Seward