[QuadList] Free 90-minute Quad Everly Bros. show Wednesday night at UCLA's Wilder Theater

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Tue Mar 31 18:15:39 CDT 2009

Howdy from 75° northern California...

Some warming news about restored Quad-recorded television programs.

Last July, we kicked off this list with a notice about a UCLA
presentation of the earliest surviving COLOR Quad tape—restored by Don
Kent, Ed Reitan and UCLA's Dan Einstein.

Those folks at UCLA are doing it again... presentations of restored
television programs and films from the archives.
http://www.cinema.ucla.edu/calendar/calendardetails.aspx?details_type=2&id=323

Wednesday, April First (that's tomorrow) features a 90-minute
highlight reel originally recorded on Quad, presented from BetacamSP.
This to be the only Television programming in the 2009 series.

http://www.tft.ucla.edu/calendar/screening/johnny-cash-presents-everly-brothers-show

Preservation funded by Sony Pictures Entertainment
"JOHNNY CASH PRESENTS THE EVERLY BROTHERS SHOW" (ABC, 7/8/70-9/16/70)
(1970) Directed by Marty Pasetta

The Everly Brothers, Don and Phil, had guested on many music and
variety shows by the time they became TV headliners with this summer-
replacement series in 1970. Though it lasted only three months,
"Johnny Cash Presents The Everly Brothers Show" rides high on the
Everly's engaging personalities, gorgeous harmonies and rapport with
fellow musicians. The Archive has compiled a selection of highlights
from seven of the show's 10 broadcasts, including musical numbers by
Don and Phil, Johnny Cash, Linda Ronstadt, Tina Turner and Stevie
Wonder. This program also includes a compilation of the Everly
Brothers pre-1970 TV appearances, featuring many of their early hits.
Executive Producer: Harold D. Cohen, Joe Byrne. Producer: Bernie
Kukoff, Jeff Harris. Writer: David Pollock, Elias Davis, Mike
Settle,Jeff Harris, Bernie Kukoff, Allyn Ferguson. Music: Jack
Elliott. Host: Don Everly, Phil Everly. Beta-SP, A Halcyon Productions
Presentation, 90 min.

IN PERSON: Dan Einstein, Television Archivist, UCLA Film & Television
Archive.
FREE Admission!

Park Seward and I enjoyed the four-program presentation last year,
including the restored 1958 WRC-TV/NBC Washington, DC color facilities
dedication.  The quality of the shows on the big screen at the Billy
Wilder Theater was pretty amazing.

I think I reported they were using a 10K Lumen projector?

If you're in the LA area and have a chance to go, please do and give
the list a report.

The location is inside the Hammer Museum, 10899 Wilshire Blvd. corner
of Westwood, Courtyard Level.

There is parking in the museum garage. Bring cash to pay. ATM in bank
across the street. (How does he know that?)

Good dining just down the street at a number of locations.

We enjoyed
Soleil Westwood
1386 Westwood Blvd.
(Rochester Ave.)
Westwood, CA 90024
Phone:
310-441-5384
Website:
www.soleilwestwood.com

It's about three LA blocks from the theater at Westwood and Wilshire.

Enjoy!

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com