[QuadList] .NBC is said to have trashed around 15 years of "Tonight Show" tapes

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Mon Mar 2 17:38:20 CST 2009

On Mar 2, 2009, at 4:18 PM, Dennis Degan wrote:

> 	Did anyone here see CBS Sunday Morning yesterday?

<snip>

> Someone I work with at NBC named Lydia was also interviewed about
> her 1986 university video on EIAJ tape that she can no longer play
> because there are no machines available to her to view it with.
> She said she hadn't seen the program on that tape in 20 years.

There ARE a number of working EIAJ machines around the country... so
she CAN get her tape transferred to something she can both view it
from and use to edit, should she want to do that.

VidPax has that sort of equipment.

> 	This situation is almost as bad as throwing the Carson tapes
> away.  If you have nothing to play them on, you can't archive them
> for the future.  And there's no such thing as a permanent storage
> medium.
>
> 			Dennis Degan, Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
> 	  				NBC Today Show, New York

That's one of the major reasons for the existence of the Quad
Videotape Group: Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use
them.

That, have fun doing it and socializing along the way.

Speaking of that, don't forget... Tuesday, April 21, 12:30 p.m.:
Second Annual Lunch at NAB.
Location being arranged.

Secretary for the  QuadVideotapeGroup.com: