[QuadList] Dropout Compensators

WVGO WVGOfm at aol.com
Sat May 2 14:23:31 CDT 2009

As far as TR-70 DOCs go, the 70As and 70B that I have here all have the
two module DOC.
The  main  dropout compensator module in these machines has a metal tag
attached with the MI number, that is reminescent of a 3M tag in it's
colors and font, although there is no "3M" printed on any of the
boards.  This module also differs substantially in construction from
typical RCA module assemblies, in that printed circuit boards are used
and not the usual point to point wiring that RCA used.  So I would
concur that they were built by someone else, probably 3M.  The other
module, the "dropout proc" in this pair is definitely RCA built though
and resembles every other module in the machine in it's construction.
I'll check the diagram manuals when I get a chance to see if there is
any notation about 3M there.
The 70Cs that I have all have the single module DOC....also again
appearing with circuit board construction and even some integrated
circuits.  The construction and metal tags on these single module units
also appear to be made by the same company (3M) as the earlier TR-70 ones.
There was apparently a lot of evolution happening in the DOC in the time
frame of TR70 production.  The circuitry and layouts differ considerably
from one generation to the next.
Guy

www.GuySpiller.com

--