[QuadList] Restoring an RCA TR-600

Randy Hall listk7age at gmail.com
Tue May 26 15:54:51 CDT 2009

Hi,

This brings back memories, or nightmares. When I was at Rochester Institute
of Technology we received SN1013, in 1975 (maybe 1974). It lived up to being
the 13th machine built. Lots of issues. We received it in the spring and had
the FE, Mike Kukus (sp?), commission the machine in the fall. It took him
four weeks. When he asked me about Field Mod Notes, I said what FMNs? He
called RCA and they sent him 70+ FMNs to install. We only had one machine,
so no swapping modules! Many FEs passed through RIT. I remember talking to
Chris Smith a lot.

After about a year, it settled down. I remember changing out all of the fuse
holders on the Acme (road runner approved?) power supply due to weak fuse
springs. All the wires were black color.

I was working on the machine one day and left the room. One of our directors
said that I had mess in Master Control. I said yes, schematics, scope, tools
and so on. He said go look. I had tape everywhere. Both reel motors un-wound
the tape. Another problem......

Then there were all the* *intermittent coax conectorson the mother board.
The connectors on the mother board were press fit into the holes. If you
pulled on the cable, it came off of the mother board. Big soldering iron
fixed that.

And we call them the good old days...........

1013 is probably is a landfill somewhere.

Good luck!

Randy
K7AGE