[QuadList] Restoring an RCA TR-600

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Wed May 27 20:28:43 CDT 2009

Exactly, Steve. The Ampex needs SC, Sync and H. I also send bars to
the video in.

Best,
Park

C. Park Seward
Visit us: http://www.videopark.com

On May 27, 2009, at 2:34 PM, Steve Greene wrote:

> John,
> This jogs my memory.  You will need a sync generator that can supply
> burst and subcarrier before the machine will fully lock.  Color bars
> will serve in place of black burst in a pinch.
>
> Steve Greene
> Audiovisual Archivist
> Nixon Presidential Library and Museum
> (301) 837-1772
> Congratulations on your acquisition, John. While I know absolutely
> nothing about the RCA quads, I can share some experiences with
> restoring Ampex quads.
>
> As said before, check the power supplies. I have replaced most of my
> large caps. After repair, run the power supplies on a test bench under
> load for a few hours to see if it really is good.
>
> I remove every circuit board (called "etched boards" in Ampex lingo)
> and inspect for obvious damage and clean off any dirt and grime. I
> have seen caps that have exploded and resistors that have burned up. I
> measure every capacitor with an ESR meter and replace ones that are
> suspect. I have also been known the shotgun the board and replace all
> the electrolytics. The smaller mylar and tantalums seem to hold up.
>
> I then clean the contacts, first with a special gold eraser (similar
> to an ink eraser) and then wipe clean with an alcohol swab. Then, coat
> with DeoxIT Red, wipe off and then coat with DeoxIT Gold and wipe off.
> I use the 100% solution. Let it remain on the surface for some time
> and wipe off. Could leave it on overnight on really bad corrosion.
>
> DeoxIT® - Contact Cleaner & Rejuvenator - Brings Old Systems Back to
> Life!
> DeoxIT® GOLD (formerly ProGold) - Contact Conditioner & Protector -
> Maintains New System Performance!
>
> The biggest problems in equipment I have seen are power supply
> problems and connector problems.
>
> Following the schematics, I look at the circuit  and start at the
> beginning and follow it until I see a problem. Ampex has some
> excellent manuals that show exactly what the waveforms should look
> like at every step in the circuit.
>
> The 1200 I am working on now has had problems at every step. Nothing
> was working. Now, I have good air and full video and am starting to
> work on the mechanics. My machines were very dirty so a good cleaning
> of all parts is recommended.
>
> Another good tip is to find someone with knowledge of the VTR that you
> can bounce ideas off. Don Norwood has been very helpful to me. He has
> a wealth of knowledge on the 1200s.

You said you were feeding sync from a generator. The Ampex machines
require separate sync, burst and other drives. Make sure your VTR is
getting all the drives it needs.